Friday 23 May 2014

[Build Great Backlinks] TITLE

Build Great Backlinks has posted a new item, 'Silly Marketer, Title Tags Are for
Robots!'

Posted by jennitaLike all good marketers, we think carefully about our title
tags before publishing new content. Then we just take that carefully crafted
title and plop it into the OG tags for social shares, right?Think again!In
today's Whiteboard Friday, Jen Lopez explainswhy we need to put in a little more
effort than that.
Video transcription:Hey, Moz fans, welcome to yet another edition of Whiteboard
Friday. I'm JenLopez, the Director of the Community here at Moz, and today I'm
going totake you on a tale of two marketers.We have the SEO, right? We focus on
making sure that the robots and thatthe spiders are crawling through our sites
and can get to them. Then whenwe want things to show up in the SERPs, we make
sure that our title tagsare keyword rich and our meta descriptions are super
enticing, right? Wemake sure that when somebody clicks from the search engine
results page,that they see exactly what we want them to see. And that's smart,
right?Those keywords are actually a high ranking factor. All of these things
thatwe focus on, we work very hard to make sure that our keywords are at
thebeginning of the title and that sort of thing.But then we have the social
media marketer. Yes, I drew that. I'm sorry,all social media marketers. I know
you don't actually look at that. Wethink about the people, right? How are people
going to look at it? How arepeople going to re-share this? And so as a social
media marketer, we'rethinking like, "How can we change the Open Graph tags so
that people onFacebook and people on Google+ and people on LinkedIn are seeing
thesethings exactly the way we want to see them?" We want to see big images.
Whocares about keywords? That's what that SEO person does, right?What about
Twitter cards? You want to make sure that when you sendsomething in a tweet or
somebody tweets your blog post or your infographic,or whatever it may be, that
it's coming across exactly the way you want tosee it. You're thinking about rich
pins, and you salivate when you're onPinterest and you see a recipe and it
actually shows all of the ingredientsin the recipe. That might just be me, but
in general that's often what wedo.What tends to happen is people are getting
better about using the OpenGraph tags and the Twitter cards and that sort of
thing. But what wenormally do is we take what we have, put in the title tags and
metadescription, and we make it the default so that it's really simple. Sowe're
doing the basics. We're being lazy. That's exactly what we're doing.We do it on
our own blog. You go to our blog, the title that you see on thepage, the title
of the post, the title that you see shared on socialnetwork, it's always the
same. You're going to see it across the board, andit is time for us to stop
being lazy because think about if you did this.Now let me give you first an
example -- Huffington Post. I recently wroteapost for Huffington Post, and being
a SEO myself, I worked very hard atmaking sure that the title tag was something
that would come across in theSEO world very nicely so that it would show up in
SERPs great and it woulddo all this stuff. What was interesting was, that
without my prompting,that something that the Huffington Post editorial team did,
is after Isubmitted my post with all of my information, they told me it took
severaldays. I get this email that says, "Congratulations, your post is
onHuffington Post." I did a little happy dance because now I can put inGoogle+
that I contribute to Huffington Post.Besides that, the first thing I did is I
went to share it on Facebook.What's interesting is when I shared it on Facebook,
it was not the imagethat I'd used. It was not the title that I'd used nor was it
thedescription. It was very specific to social.So I went back to my page
thinking, "What the hell, did they change all ofmy stuff?" No, my title tag and
images and everything are still exactly thesame. However, they've set the Open
Graph and the Twitter cards to bespecific to social. I had this like "Oh my gosh
moment," when I realized:Why in the world aren't we all doing this? Why aren't
we taking one pieceof content and making it so that not only do the robots see
it and do wecare about the keyword rich title and meta description that looks
good inthe SERPs and getting all the schema just right so that it looks
rightthere? Why don't we do that plus we make sure that the Open Graph tags
aregreat, that you have an image that's super shareable, that you have
adescription and the title that can be somewhat up worthy?I'm not a huge fan of,
"This woman wrote on a Whiteboard, and you'll neverguess what happened next." I
really don't like those, but people click onthat stuff. You put a different
image, a different image here than adifferent image you have here, and you make
it something. You put a circlearound somebody's face in the background. We've
all seen those on Facebook,right? They work really well. It's brilliant. You
take one piece ofcontent, and you make it work really well for the robots, and
you find thathappy place. You get the people plus robots equals love. That's
becauseyou're making your content that you've worked really hard at, you've
puttime and effort into this, you're making sure that it's easily consumableby
the people who want to share it and re-share it hopefully and make itviral
because you want that virality here. But you also want it to bestable, and you
want the robots to see it and you want the spiders to beable to get to it and
all of that.So my quest, you have a quest. I am doing this hopefully internally
assomething that I'm pushing very hard, and I would like to see you step upyour
game as well. So rather than just keeping those defaults of, "Here ismy title
tag and I'm going to use it in all of the places," that you'regoing to take the
time to write not only your title tag and metadescription for SEO purposes, but
that you're going to work hard at takingthese and doing really great things with
your social meta tags as well.Below, I'm going to give you some resources to
specific poststhat talk about how to do this well and how to do this well and
then takethose and combine them. When you do that, you are going to find that
peopleare going to love the heck out of your stuff. I will be the first one
whenwe get that set up on our site, I will tell you exactly how it's workingfor
us. So stop being lazy, do the hard work, and make your stuff supershareable all
over the Web.That's it for today. I hope to see you again soon. Have a great
weekend.Additional resourcesFor more info on title tags:New Title Tag Guidelines
& Preview ToolFor more info on social meta / open graph (OG) tags:Must-Have
Social Meta Tags for Twitter, Google+, Facebook, and MoreSign up for The Moz Top
10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten hottest pieces of SEO news,
tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think of it as your exclusive
digest of stuff you don't have time to hunt down but want to read!

You may view the latest post at
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/seomoz/~3/bqANf0T3OjY/silly-marketer-title-tags-are-for-robots

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Build Great Backlinks
peter.clarke@designed-for-success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment